Wait, a Relationship? Oh No, I’m Not Ready
There are so many articles, blogs, and advice for all those willing and ready to get into a relationship. But what about those who just aren’t ready for a relationship? Well, this blog post is just for YOU!
I’m going to challenge you a little bit and ask why you aren’t ready to be in a relationship. Take some time and think about the questions below…
- Is it simply that I don’t desire a relationship and I want to be a eunuch?
- Is it simply that I believe I will never get married because there’s no one out there for me?
- Is it simply that I hope I’m never given the opportunity to be in a relationship?
More than likely, you answered no to those questions. If you answered yes, you can still read the rest of this blog post…
I’ve noticed that when people say they’re not ready for a relationship, they usually desire a relationship but other factors cause them to “not be ready.” Now, sometimes it’s just not your season to date, and if you feel you’re not ready, it’s probably not your season. However, as you walk through this season, I want to open your eyes to a few factors that could be hindering your progress towards a season of being ready to date.
- Fear – This is one of the biggest reasons why people stay away from relationships. However, the only way to conquer fear is by intentionally doing the thing of which you are most afraid. Of course, make sure you are in a healthy place before being open to a relationship but also don’t allow fear to box you in.
- Insecurities – No one wants these but we all have them. Take some time while you are single to build your confidence and your self-esteem. This will help you choose a significant other soberly and attract the right person.
- Unhealed Broken Heart – Definitely one of the most painful life occurrences to walk through. However, you must allow your past to remain in your past. If you had a break up that ended badly and that is still controlling your present… you need more healing! Never allow your past to stir your future; close the door and keep moving!
- Father Wounds – The greatest investment a father can make for his children is being just that – a father (a real one). If you suffer from father wounds, definitely take time to walk through deliverance, but also learn to know God as Father. Center your devotion around this subject and allow God to work on your heart. This is one wound that can cause a lot of damage to relationships, so be intentional about healing it.
- Trust Issues – These are real and will keep you guarded and distant from people. However, I’m here to tell you that you’re not perfect… and neither is the person with whom you decide to enter a relationship. Red flags are real and you should heed them but you can’t build lasting relationships without trust. Look at yourself and recognize your own flaws; this will help you grant more mercy and grace to the one with whom you eventually enter into relationship.
Out of the five of these, which is your current struggle? Don’t be afraid to share; we all have our issues!