Serving Others: 10 Ways to be More Hospitable in Your Home
I get really excited when we have guests over. Whether it be for dinner or overnight, I try to make my guests feel welcomed and comfortable. I find joy in serving others. I know I am honoring God by showing love to His people. It is alright if serving doesn’t come naturally for you because it did not come naturally for me.
It took working as an greeter at church and being told that I am the first face that someone see’s and that a warm welcome can start the healing process. I set the tone for a visitors or members experience. I learned to go the extra mile to make people feel special. I want my guests at my home to feel the same way.
Here are 10 tips to make your next home gathering extra special for your guests.
- Greet your guests at the door with a smile and a beverage as soon as they enter.
- Have candles lit to create an ambiance.
- Place fresh flowers in the bathroom with nice printed napkins or a nice printed hand towel.
- Have refreshments or appetizers to snack on while the main dish is being prepared.
- Have small activities or a few toys laid out for the little guests, this makes the little ones feel special.
- Set your table with nice plates, glasses, silverware and napkins. Here is a diagram of a simple way and formal way to set the table. (Image 2)
- Place essential items (travel toothpaste, toothbrushes, mouthwash, lotions etc) in the guest baths and bedrooms for overnight guests.
- Send your guests home with leftovers so they don’t have to cook tomorrow.
- Serve dessert even if it’s just store bought cookies and ice-cream.
- Make your guests plates and serve them at the table instead of a buffet style.
There are many more things that you can do than these 10 things. Just be creative and think about what makes you feel special and do the same for your guests.