Marriage Hacks: 6 Keys to Ensure a Healthy & Happy Marriage
1) Have realistic expectations.
We know our spouse isn’t perfect, so why do we act so surprised when they give us proof they’re not perfect? We must accept there will be hard times, and some days will be less stellar than others.
Here are some reasonable expectations for your marriage:
- We will be faithful to one another
- We will be honest with one another.
- We will be patient with one another.
- We will serve one another.
2) Focus on self-improvement, not spouse improvement.
Be the kind of spouse you’re looking to have. Ask yourself the following questions:
- How can I communicate better?
- How can I show more respect?
- How can I bring out the best in him/her?
- How can I better serve him/her?
3) Get a plan for working through conflict.
We’re all different. We all process and handle things differently. We all come in broken and we must have a plan to work through conflict to ensure a healthy God-honoring marriage. Here are some ways to handle conflict positively:
- Assume the best. Give your spouse the benefit of the doubt.
- Seek first to understand, then to be understood. LISTEN! Hear what they’re meaning. Not just what they’re saying.
- Respect your spouse’s style of processing. Give yourselves a few minutes to process, then come back. And before you re-enter the conflict, take a moment to pray for one another.
- Be quick to say “I’m sorry”.
- Be quick to forgive.
- Address issues without attacking.
- Don’t go to bed angry.
4) Follow God’s plan, not the worlds pattern.
Marriage should be a place of grace and truth. It’s not all about a huge fancy ceremony. Take the time to truly invest in maintaining your marriage.
5) Never stop growing in communication.
Be very intentional about building a culture of open, honest and respectable communication with your spouse. No matter how good you become at this, never become complacent. There’s always room for improvement.
6) Resolve that quitting is not an option!
This is the key. No matter what happens, REFUSE TO QUIT! This is the key to divorce proofing your marriage! We live in a world that’s all about the flavor of the moment and many treat marriage the same way. Realize that when you choose to stand before your spouse, you’re not only making a commitment to them, but you’re also making a covenant before God. Always honor both that commitment and that covenant.
These hacks are by no means all-encompassing; however, if you take advantage of them, your marriage will definitely benefit. I know mine has!