Using the Armor of God to Protect Your Marriage
Looking at the state of the world today, it is easy to see that the institution of marriage is under attack. Since marriage is a testament to the glory of God, the enemy works overtime to assault marriages to destroy what God has created (John 8:44). The attacks are an assignment to create division to prove to the world that God’s idea of marriage is not better than the world’s view of marriage (1 Peter 5:8-9).
I have been thinking lately about some of the tactics the enemy has used to create warfare in my own marriage. Our greatest defense is the armor of God, which Apostle Paul states in Ephesians 6:13, to“take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the devil throws your way.”
To fight a battle, we have to be prepared. Let’s take a look at how believers can use the armor of God as a game changer daily to protect their marriage (Ephesians 6:14-17):
- Belt of Truth – the enemy comes to attack the truth of God’s word. The belt represents how we are attached to God’s truth, being sincere in action and character. Here are some questions to consider: Do you speak truth into your marriage? Are you rebuking the enemy’s lies according to truth in God’s word?
- Breastplate of Righteousness – The breastplate guards your heart, symbolizing the righteousness that comes from our faith in God. When the enemy tries to use unforgiveness, pride, and other tactics, this weapon helps us to operate in love, forgiveness, and the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23).
- Gospel of Peace – As believers, our marriage should be a beautiful picture of Christ’s love story. Walking in peace, freedom, and harmony creates a beautiful, God-honoring marriage.
- Shield of Faith – Our faith is our protection. As we maneuver in faith, our shield (regularly study of God’s Word and prayer) cuts off the arrows sent from the enemy to harm our marriages (Romans 8:31).
- Helmet of Salvation – When we protect our thoughts, we stay focused on God and His ways. Again, studying the Word of God helps us to have the mind of Christ to make sure that our thoughts and ways line up to God’s design for marriage (2 Corinthians 10:3-5).
- Sword of the Spirit – The sword is the Word of God. It is alive and powerful to destroy and eliminate the enemy’s lies and weapons that oppose your marriage daily. God’s word brings life, safety, and a refreshing to your marriage that defeats the enemy every time!
Our marriages need protecting. Using the armor of God will help to keep your marriage strong and safe against the enemy’s plans.